Friday, August 08, 2008

Caffeine

So, I started weaning myself from caffeine before pregnancy. Caffeine isn't apparently bad during pregnancy (1 cup a day say experts), but I just didn't want the dependency. And, I was having more than 1 cup a day. I did half-caf and then eventually decaf. I was weaned! No headaches, no sleepyness, normalcy. It was great... It also boded well later on because the smell of coffee made me want to gag during the 1st and 2nd trimester. It smelled like a pile of burnt rubble. Yelch!
Experts say the same rules during pregnancy apply during nursing as well (at least for caffeine). So I was in compliance. No problem as I was caffeine-free. And more importantly, caffeine-depependent-free. Operative word there: was. I thought it would be no big deal to go back to half-caf, and let's just break it down... the Chai Latte at *$ is my fave/weakness and does not come sans caffeine.

This morning I woke up really tired. I got about 8 hours of sleep, which is awesome. But I had zero energy. Was I coming down with a cold? Did I get mono? Oh no, is Gabe going to get sick now?

Then it dawned on me... no half-caf coffee today yet. Uh oh... I think I've fallen back off the wagon... or am I back on the wagon? I don't know that expression very well. I'm definitely on the bandwagon... caffeine is a wonderful thing. God invented the coffee bean... caffeine can't be all that bad, right?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Caffeine IS a wonderful thing! I know that I can only function after 4 hours of sleep with some Dunkin Donuts coffee in the morning. All things in moderation...right?