In light of gift giving for the holidays, I wanted to pass along an idea to you that I really love. I know there are lots of creative gifts and ways to give meaningfully, but I wanted to add one more into the mix for you to think about.
Despite many personal hardships including AIDS, hunger, losing their husbands, and poverty, widows in Uganda are responsible for caring for their extended families and orphans for their community. An organization, the Ugandan American Partnership Organization (UAPO), was started by a girl my age in Atlanta. She went on a trip to Uganda and her life was turned upside down. The UAPO is a non-profit founded to partner with indigenous ministries and communities to transform Uganda through sustainable development. Through partnerships, a community of fellowship is forged as we work, share, and connect with each other in the spirit of love.
It's quite holistic, which I love!
The Akola Project is one of those projects. It is a craft project where women take discarded magazines and publications and go through a rolling and lacquer process to make beads. These beads are then made into jewelry and sold in the U.S. to make money for these women who have no other source of income. During these craft times, the women come together and realize they are not alone (which is HUGE), they receive AIDS counseling, home based care, and spiritual encouragement. The goal is to then expand the project throughout Uganda.
I really wanted to help somehow, and the U.S. UAPO office sent me a HUGE box FULL of necklaces that range from $10-$35. See photos below...
I have a necklace that I wear often, and I usually always get a comment about it. They are beautiful! It's amazing to know they were handmade by women across the world, and buying this necklace is a HUGE support to them and their communities. ALL of the proceeds go to UAPO for these women in the Akola Project.
So, if you're interested in giving a necklace to a friend, sister, mother, coworker, etc. then have a look and let me know via a comment on the blog. We'll figure out logisitics from there.
Each necklace comes with a little tag with the web address and a little description of the project.
Thanks for considering it! Merry Christmas to you all!
Despite many personal hardships including AIDS, hunger, losing their husbands, and poverty, widows in Uganda are responsible for caring for their extended families and orphans for their community. An organization, the Ugandan American Partnership Organization (UAPO), was started by a girl my age in Atlanta. She went on a trip to Uganda and her life was turned upside down. The UAPO is a non-profit founded to partner with indigenous ministries and communities to transform Uganda through sustainable development. Through partnerships, a community of fellowship is forged as we work, share, and connect with each other in the spirit of love.
It's quite holistic, which I love!
The Akola Project is one of those projects. It is a craft project where women take discarded magazines and publications and go through a rolling and lacquer process to make beads. These beads are then made into jewelry and sold in the U.S. to make money for these women who have no other source of income. During these craft times, the women come together and realize they are not alone (which is HUGE), they receive AIDS counseling, home based care, and spiritual encouragement. The goal is to then expand the project throughout Uganda.
I really wanted to help somehow, and the U.S. UAPO office sent me a HUGE box FULL of necklaces that range from $10-$35. See photos below...
I have a necklace that I wear often, and I usually always get a comment about it. They are beautiful! It's amazing to know they were handmade by women across the world, and buying this necklace is a HUGE support to them and their communities. ALL of the proceeds go to UAPO for these women in the Akola Project.
So, if you're interested in giving a necklace to a friend, sister, mother, coworker, etc. then have a look and let me know via a comment on the blog. We'll figure out logisitics from there.
Each necklace comes with a little tag with the web address and a little description of the project.
Thanks for considering it! Merry Christmas to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment