This morning was a special little moment that is one perk of being a Stay-At-Home Mom. Mags had gotten up early, ate and then went back to sleep. Gabe was up earlier than usual, so we had a little one-on-one time together. It was a great gift to both him and me. There is a lot of transition going on in our household: new baby sister, house being on the market, preparing to move, and ramping up for potty training. He's been a bit more clingy and also a bit more defiant. So, to have this time with him this morning was much needed.
We sat on the couch together and each read our Bibles. He was reading his stories to himself and occassionally pointing up and whispering, "snake" (Adam and Eve) or "spies" (Spies sent into Jericho before the walls came down). It was sweet. I finished and then read him about 20 minutes worth of Bible stories. We were both yawning and still a bit sleepy, so I finished the book without a bit of protest from him.
He looked up and said, "I'll hold you, Mommy." This actually means, "Hold me, Mommy." He crawled up on my lap with both legs draping over one side and his blankets and head on my chest. He kept putting my arm around him in a tight hug and said, "Like this, Mommy." I squeezed him and said, "like this?" "No, like this," he said and then started patting my leg. Oh, I got it. He wanted me to pat his back. He sat there for awhile as I patted his back.
What a sweet moment.
It lasted about 60 seconds and then he sat up and looked at me and said, "Watch a show?" I would've given him the car keys if he'd have asked! What a sweet boy. And he hopped down to another chair and it was over.
I have reminded myself of that moment all day as he's looked at me defiantly and said, "no," or argued and been disrespectful. It's been a nice moment to carry me over those other more difficult moments.
It was a great gift and I'm so thankful that I have the privilege of being able to be at home to experience moments like it.
1 comment:
Tears...yep...tears..this touches me in so many ways with each of my kids. I hope I can take those moments as you did and try to remember them when I am frustrated with their testing me. Thank you!
Post a Comment