Well, it’s done. All of our belongings have been packed up and loaded onto a truck to travel through four states to get to us in Orlando. We left our former house last Wednesday and said goodbye to it. We thought it would be important that G see the house empty to help him understand that we are “all done” with that house.
As he went inside and saw the empty house, he looked around for quite a bit. Then he went into each room and came back out into the hallway and announced, “It’s all gone!” Each room was given that pronouncement then he and M rolled around on the floor together and enjoyed the open spaces.
Before leaving, we also stood in the driveway and said, “Bye bye, old house!” We were able to say goodbye to our sweet neighbor and her two granddaughters of whom G had grown quite fond. They gave him and M gifts and it was sweet. I have to admit, I was a little more emotional than I thought I’d be. The sticks and bricks of the house make up the structure, but the memories and time spent there make it a home.
Our friends and family made it much more of an easy transition to leave and arrive. Our dear friends in Charlotte hosted us for 24 hours and we were able to tag team the kids. J’s sister, M, hosted us on our last night, and it was great to be with family as we left. Our travel began Thursday to Jacksonville, where we spent the night with long-time friends. They were a nice “soft landing” and sweet welcome as we arrived in Florida.
One thing we did do, which I loved, was check into a hotel by Disney World, for a few nights. It felt like a little vacation and it was great to play in the pool, have complementary breakfast, and enjoy the sun a bit. G and I played in the pool for 2+ hours and it was a blast. He’s getting quite brave in the pool, which makes his swimmer mommy happy. He still refuses to blow bubbles or dunk his head back, but we’re getting there.
So, now it’s the following Monday, and we’re sitting in an empty house awaiting the moving truck. It’s a bit like camping, which is somewhat fun, but it will be nice to have something to sit on besides the floor. I was thinking about the truck arrival today and likened it to being pregnant in my mind. At the end of the pregnancy you feel as though you’ve been pregnant for half of your life and it will never end… especially when you’re past your due date. I reminded myself of my mantra that mentally helped me through the waiting: It’s inevitable. The truck will come. You won’t always be in this empty house. It will arrive at some point. Just substitute truck for baby and in this empty house for pregnant and there’s the mantra. Works pretty well, huh?
In a moment of great pride, I have to brag on the kids. They have been such troopers! There has been quite a bit of upheaval in their routines and worlds, but they have taken it in stride. There have been a few more meltdowns and a few more acts of blatant disobedience, but that’s to be expected. I’ve had a few incidents myself, so how I can be too hard on them?
As he went inside and saw the empty house, he looked around for quite a bit. Then he went into each room and came back out into the hallway and announced, “It’s all gone!” Each room was given that pronouncement then he and M rolled around on the floor together and enjoyed the open spaces.
Before leaving, we also stood in the driveway and said, “Bye bye, old house!” We were able to say goodbye to our sweet neighbor and her two granddaughters of whom G had grown quite fond. They gave him and M gifts and it was sweet. I have to admit, I was a little more emotional than I thought I’d be. The sticks and bricks of the house make up the structure, but the memories and time spent there make it a home.
Our friends and family made it much more of an easy transition to leave and arrive. Our dear friends in Charlotte hosted us for 24 hours and we were able to tag team the kids. J’s sister, M, hosted us on our last night, and it was great to be with family as we left. Our travel began Thursday to Jacksonville, where we spent the night with long-time friends. They were a nice “soft landing” and sweet welcome as we arrived in Florida.
One thing we did do, which I loved, was check into a hotel by Disney World, for a few nights. It felt like a little vacation and it was great to play in the pool, have complementary breakfast, and enjoy the sun a bit. G and I played in the pool for 2+ hours and it was a blast. He’s getting quite brave in the pool, which makes his swimmer mommy happy. He still refuses to blow bubbles or dunk his head back, but we’re getting there.
So, now it’s the following Monday, and we’re sitting in an empty house awaiting the moving truck. It’s a bit like camping, which is somewhat fun, but it will be nice to have something to sit on besides the floor. I was thinking about the truck arrival today and likened it to being pregnant in my mind. At the end of the pregnancy you feel as though you’ve been pregnant for half of your life and it will never end… especially when you’re past your due date. I reminded myself of my mantra that mentally helped me through the waiting: It’s inevitable. The truck will come. You won’t always be in this empty house. It will arrive at some point. Just substitute truck for baby and in this empty house for pregnant and there’s the mantra. Works pretty well, huh?
In a moment of great pride, I have to brag on the kids. They have been such troopers! There has been quite a bit of upheaval in their routines and worlds, but they have taken it in stride. There have been a few more meltdowns and a few more acts of blatant disobedience, but that’s to be expected. I’ve had a few incidents myself, so how I can be too hard on them?
1 comment:
So I must of missed the blog that explained your moving and why? What's up?
Post a Comment